Tuesday, August 30, 2011

You Asked... Rip 60 Program

     Recently on the Turbo Fit Facebook page I asked what you were most interested in hearing about right now. I've got 4 weeks until baby boy is born which means 4 weeks or less for me to get in all the posts you are really wanting to hear about now. One follower asked me what I knew about the Rip-60 program and I'm not gonna lie, I'd never heard of it before. That being said, I don't know any real people who have tried it so I don't know what the real world results of the actual program are, but I can give you my professional assessment of the program based on what they are claiming. I have a massive list of programs I want to do once this baby is born and I'm cleared for exercise (though I have to admit, it's SO hard to wait for that clearance!). I'm going to have to add Rip-60 to that list and then I can give you a different perspective on how the program works.

     The first thing I noticed as I got onto the website was the Jillian Michaels was on there. I have to tell you that at that point I was trying really hard not to have a negative opinion about the program haha. Perhaps I shouldn't mention this, but I'm not a fan of Jillian Michaels. I've read some of her books and I've watched her quite a bit on multiple fitness shows and I think she's pretty fake and that because something worked for her to get her out of her obese adolescence, it should work for everyone and that if you don't do it her way, you're wrong. Fortunately, she's not the creator of this program so the fact that she's on it shouldn't be that big of a deal. I have read some articles, however, stating that her kettlebell workouts do not use proper technique and that people have gotten hurt following her kettlebell workouts so I would strongly advise you to look up proper technique on the kettlebell exercises that she leads before fully participating in those exercises.

     Okay, now that I've gotten that off my chest about Jillian, I need to address the claims that it's better than P90X and Insanity. Rip-60 claims that you lose more weight, build more endurance, and blah blah blah. I'm not gonna lie, whether these claims are true or not, it has nothing to do with the "betterness" (is that a word? it is now haha) of the program. It's different than P90X and Insanity so of course you're going to get different (not necessarily better) results. Each program focuses differently on those aspects and so results will be different (again, not necessarily better). No matter what program you peruse, time and effort are key parts that no program can force you to do at any level. It's going to be all about the time you put into it and the effort you put into it. Also, different programs are going to have different amounts of strength, endurance, and cardio training. If a program is weighted more towards cardio (programs like Insanity) then yes, you will lose more weight with that program. If it is more weighted towards strength training, then chances are you're going to lose less weight, and build more muscle. (Though to be fair, a small change with the numbers on the scale can be misleading - you're building muscle, so the fat loss that occurs isn't going to show up as dramatically on the scale because you are gaining more muscle mass.) They all increase strength, they all help you reduce body fat, and they all increase endurance, so really, you can't go wrong. My personal opinion is that all three of these programs are going to be great, you just have to figure out which one you will like the most and that you will stick with.

     Having not done the program myself or knowing anyone that has, from outside appearances this program seems great and you'll be happy with your results, though I have no real testimony from anyone to back this up. Again, if you're putting the effort in that you should, almost any program is going to be great. As long as the meal plans are balanced and realistic, those are great tools in the program to help you get the body you want. Be wary though of supplements and meal replacements. If you are eating a healthy, balanced diet, you do NOT need meal replacements OR supplements! Once you have the body you want, you need to find a way to maintain it. If you can't continue going on at the pace you were during the program, you need at least to keep it as part of your routine at whatever level you can and keep eating healthy. The reason people revert back to their old bodies is because they revert back to their old ways. Keep eating healthy, keep exercising, and your results will last. Have fun, enjoy, and if you have any experience with Rip-60 please share in a comment below!

     Click on the Turbo Fit Facebook page link to "like" on Facebook and stay updated on all of Turbo Fit's newest posts and have more opportunities to let me know what you want to learn about!

1 comment:

  1. I agree with everything that you have said above. A lot of where I run into issues is in keeping up with the program or routine.

    Do you have any experience with the straps? In looking at the product more, it appears that they also include the kettlebell quite a bit. A little misleading as they promote the straps as the key component and that appears more for balance and core work.

    ReplyDelete